4 Creative Office Solutions for Remote Workers
Working from home can be great, especially if it means you get to avoid a long commute into the office. But, sometimes you just need to get out of the house if you want to have a focused and productive workday.
Luckily, there are plenty of creative workplace solutions when you need a break from the home office. Coffee shops aren’t your only option, either. The next time you want a change of scenery in your workday, consider one of the following spaces.
The local library
Public libraries are a wonderful resource. It’s not uncommon for a library to have meeting rooms, comfortable chairs and tables, technology and tools, and plenty of places to hunker down. Not to mention free WiFi.
Pros to working from the library:
- No cost and no time limits — stay from open to close if you wish.
- In general, libraries are very quiet.
- Access to private meeting spaces.
- In some libraries, you’ll have access to a wide range of technology (ranging from basic equipment like printers and scanners, to 3D printers and advanced software).
Cons to working from the library:
- You can’t take calls or have lengthy conversations inside, and a meeting room may not always be available.
- Peace and quiet is never guaranteed in public spaces.
- At the time of writing, many libraries remain closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Other officing options are open for business.
- Libraries are also closed for public holidays.
Virtual office spaces
When you need a professional, well-equipped, and comfortable office space that doesn’t break the bank, virtual offices are an ideal solution. They’re becoming increasingly popular amongst small business owners, entrepreneurs, and other remote professionals.
Pros to virtual office spaces:
- Very affordable, especially compared to traditional commercial office space.
- They’re fully-equipped, which means you only need to bring your computer and other essentials.
- Rental terms are flexible, whether you need a few hours, a few days, or something longer.
- Some virtual office space providers have an extensive network of locations, which means you can easily grab an office while traveling.
- There’s peace of mind in knowing you’ll always have a quiet place to get work done.
Cons to virtual office spaces:
- If you have little budget for office space, a virtual office may be too expensive.
- Every virtual office space is different, so finding your preferred type of environment may require careful research.
Working from a pleasant hotel lobby is easier than you might think: Buy something from the on-site bar or cafe, grab a seat, connect to the WiFi, and get to work.
Pros to working from hotel lobbies:
- While you should buy something, it’s still an affordable remote work location.
- You’ll have plenty of options in most cities.
Cons to working from hotel lobbies:
- Some people may find the hustle and bustle of a hotel distracting.
- It can feel a bit awkward working from a hotel when you aren’t a guest.
Like virtual office space, coworking spaces have exploded in popularity over the last several years. They bring a diverse array of professionals together in one big, open space, which makes it easy to meet new people.
Pros to coworking spaces:
- Often the most affordable option for a dedicated office space.
- Most coworking spaces have printers, scanners, coffee machines, and other standard office amenities.
- Many coworking spaces have meeting rooms and phone booths you can book.
- If you’re looking for freelancers and contractors to help grow your business, you’ll almost certainly make connections in coworking spaces.
Cons to working spaces:
- Little privacy, since people generally work from shared desks out in the open.
- Coworking spaces can feel cramped and busy, which can make it even more difficult to focus.
- You need to be diligent about productivity, because it’s easy to get distracted by conversations.
- Coworking spaces aren’t the best option for people who spend a lot of their time on calls and video meetings.
- Meeting rooms book up fast, and you could find yourself without a quiet place to take a call.
It’s time to rethink the way we work
Clearly, today’s professionals have more choice than ever when it comes to where they work.
At Intelligent Office, we like to think of it as The Rise of the Pop-Up Office. If you’re ready to experience the flexibility and control that comes with this type of office arrangement, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us. You can contact our team here, or start a chat by clicking the yellow circle on the bottom right hand corner of your screen.